Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Safari

Jambo! Thanks for everyone who has written me emails, it might take me a little while to get back to you since I have to go into town to get Internet, and its super slow and not very reliable. Everything is going well in Moshi town, it's been a week now and I'm getting settled in. I've gotten lost plenty of times and had some interesting experiences trying to find my way back. This past weekend I kick started my time in Africa by going on a Safari with some of my friends from the hostel. East Africa is known for its amazing wildlife, and I definitely wasn't let down! The first day we ventured in Tanguire National Park, and the second day the Ngorogoro Crater. Both places were absolutely incredible, I felt like I was in the real life Lion King! If you look up online both places you'll get a better explanation and idea of the area, the crater was especially unique. If you click the pictures they will become larger. Hope to talk to everyone soon!




Zebras in the Ngorogoro Crater



















The birds were BEAUTIFUL, Dad you would have had a field day
















Ostrich in the crater


















Hippos! If you look in the left corner you can see me swimming with them!!















Wildebeest


















King on the Crater
















I love this picture










The lions got so close to our Jeep! They were stalking wildebeest and using our Jeep to hide behind. The Safari guide FREAKED OUT at me because he thought I was trying to pet the lion. I swear I was just trying to show how close!














MUFASA














We camped out at a campground somewhere near the crater and had a campfire with some of the local Tanzanians. This man brought his guitar and played us some African songs, it was beautiful!









We stumbled upon an African wedding, overlooking the Crater. We stayed for part of the ceremony, it was really lively.






















Giraffe in Tanguire



















Zebras at the watering hole!



















These Balboa trees are one of the things Tanguire is famous for. These trees supposedly live for over 1000 years ( our guide said even 3000 years?! Is that possible?) There are a lot of ancient African beliefs about the powers of these trees, and their bark and branches are used by thousands of different animals.













Leopard, we were very lucky to see one!















Baby elephants :) So cute!


















Baboon and its baby. The baboons were very mischievous, at lunch a baboon jumped onto our picnic table and stole my friends candy bar right out of her hand!
















Wildebeest stampede.

















More wildebeests by the river
















Group by the Safari Jeep. I'm short.














I forget what kind of monkey, but they were cute!








Group on top of the crater



Our guide, Abbas, he was hilarious

Just having a chat












No comments:

Post a Comment